Monday, June 30, 2008
Saturday, June 28, 2008
Friday, June 27, 2008
Thursday, June 26, 2008
The day started out all sunshiny. Scarlette was to receive her Japanese Compulsory Inspection at 12:20 p.m. but the guy showed about an hour early to try to avoid the rain. The inspection was pretty light. Although Scarlette needs a ventilation hole put in by her fuel tank and an anchor light at the top of the mast, she still passed inspection.
I'm supposed to pickup the title tomorrow afternoon with her official name change!
Was able to get some sanding done on the front toe rails, peeled some glue off the old main hatch and did some re-varnishing of the main hatch.
Beam toe rail starboard side. (No sanding, funny green stuff growing on end.)
Bow toe rail starboard side. (After sanding funny green stuff off.)
New meets old. A freshly sanded bow toe rail meets an unsanded beam toe rail.
Glue left overs underneath main hatch threshold piece. Once the varnish dries, I'll be using Guerilla Glue and two clamps to fasten the varnished piece to the main hatch.
Had to leave Scarlette open though...not something I wanted to do but because of the rain, I didn't want to redo the varnish job I already had to redo.
Kinda tired today as I was up late working on the main website for Scarlette at http://www.scarletteboat.com/.
Also stopped by my old office and had Bangee agree to make me a new logo and name and Rey Ramon agreed to shoot pictures once I get Scarlette underway.
Despite the rain...didn't seem like I got much done, but I did.
Wednesday, June 25, 2008
Monday, June 23, 2008
With that finally fixed, I focused attention on the bowlight to ensure it was working for the Japanese Compulsory Inspection the boat is scheduled to receive on June 26. It was I'm going to have to check the light bulbs again to ensure that I have replacements on hand.
Wednesday, June 18, 2008
You probably won't notice the difference until you look close.
I took a power spray machine to the hull of Scarlette today. Some of the bottom paint -- which I plan to strip off with Zip Strip after we return from vacation -- started coming off.
I've definitely got my work cut out for me. But I'm considering scaping the bottom then waiting until I'm done with the topside refurbishment before painting.
The anti-fouling paint I bought -- of course red -- cost 12,000 yen a gallon. About a $120. Icky told me that one-gallon should do it and that I should apply three coats.
Well off on vacation. Will return to Scarlette and updates next Wednesday.
Tuesday, June 17, 2008
The first mate would've killed me if I would have loaded those into our own washing machine.
So off to the laundromat I went with the second mate.
After 30 minutes or so, (finally got a haircut, while I waited) came back to the laundry room and some lady had pulled out my cushion covers from one of the washers. She said, "Oh were those yours?"
"Yeah," I say.
Waited for the second washer to finish and pulled the cushion covers out...
...slight mildew smell still there.
Took the covers home to hang off our balcony in direct sunlight to see if that'll work. But it looks like tomorrow, I'm off to the dry cleaners.
Monday, June 16, 2008
It took about three hours to scrub everything down to include reattaching the @#$% hose that kept coming apart ONLY after I would climb up on deck via an eight-foot ladder. Well at least this is good summer-break exercise.
Plan is to get the toe rails ready for sanding and then varnishing after we get back from Kyushu.
We are going to Kyushu -- via plane and not this boat -- this Thursday or five days. Should return June. 23.
The V-berth also got a complete scrub down up to the front area where sails can be stored. The skipper was a little scared to go too far forward in case Scarlette my tip over on the trailer. Probably wouldn't happen but he wanted to avoid any catastrophe.