Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Scarlette's new varnished interior

Hatch Rail Repair

KADENA MARINA, Japan -- (July 22, 2009) Scarlette's main hatch got an upgrade at this marina on the South China Sea. The rail on the main hatch comes stock as plastic under the one-design concept of a J/24 sailboat.

This plastic however becomes brittle with age (Scarlette is 24 years old) and several times during the sailing season last year, small pieces of this rail would break off when stepped on.

Underneath this rail was lots of sealant. I didn't re-seal it yet, as I'm about to head out on vacation but will have to deconstruct the project and use Sekaflex -- a caulking type sealant -- to seal the hatch area.

The replaced rail is made out of aluminum and therefore won't be prone to breaking like the previous plastic rail. I wish this was my original idea but Delaine Rivenbank manufactured this same project on his J/24 that he's turning into a trimiran.

I even bought the aluminum railing from the same store. While this rail is available for purchase on the Internet it's not available in aluminum. I placed a large piece of red plastic on each rail to help the hatch slide easier along the rail.

I had to saw the end piece off to match the doorway of the hatch a little better.

Pretty proud of this small project. Didn't think I could do it but pulled it off pretty good.

Friday, July 17, 2009

Scarlette's Rudder Gets "Tattoo"

KADENA MARINA, Japan (July , 2009) -- Scarlette's rudder got a "tattoo" at this seaport on the South China Sea.

The "tat" designed by Cap'n J takes it's concept from the "nose art" of airplanes from World War II. Scarlette's art however is displayed at the back instead of the front of the vessel.

The girl -- a volupious blond with a large posterior -- isn't Asian at all. Wanted Scarlette to remain as unique as posssible and since she'll be flying an American flag under sail, I wanted her to look more "American" than Asian.

I also added two coats of varnish over her to ensure water wouldn't wash away the sticker I printed on my computer.

The inspiration for Scarlette's name is Scarlet O'Hara from the book "Gone With the Wind." I contemplated adding a confederate flag to this logo but was a little afraid it'd be taken the wrong way.

If I can find one, I will be purchasing a confederate flag 12" x 18" to fly while underway on the new mast halyards I created before raising the mast.

Monday, July 13, 2009

Scarlette gets crucifix

KADENA MARINA, Japan (7/13/2009) -- Built a crucifix to help make stepping Scarlete's mast a little bit safer. However, winds from a dying tropical storm near the Phillippines are preventing the mast to be raised as conditions are not as safe to raise the 30 foot, 2 inch mast at this marina about a mile north of Kadena Air Base in Okinawa, Japan.

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Skull 'n' Crossbones tops Scarlette's Mast

KADENA MARINA, Japan (7/11/2009) -- A Skull 'n' Crossbones sticker now rides the top of Scarlette's mast as the ship prepares to return to the waters of the South China Sea.

"I was orginally looking for a U.S. flag sticker to permanently ride the "crow's nest" of Scarlette," said Cap'n J. "But when I saw this sticker at a local store with Kai, I could just couldn't resist."

Upon seeing photos of the new addition, Cap'n J's sea widow, Tomoe remarked. "Well if the boat sinks they'll be able to identify it along with your arm."

Cap'n J has a similar tatoo on his arm.

Thursday, July 9, 2009

A riveting story

KADENA MARINA, Japan -- (7/10/09) -- The consolidated steaming and deck light was installed today using rivets.

This was the first time I'd ever used a rivet gun. But, I'm sure it won't be the last.

The top light will be turned on at night when I'm using the engine according to Maritime rules. Previously, Scarlette had no such light.

The bottom light -- not required to have -- was something I wanted to add to ensure people could see at night.

I've added the light statics photos so I don't have to climb up or step-down the mast again to remember what amps was what, etc.

Mast Project