Sunday, February 8, 2009

First Sunday Sail in 2009

Eli Hyman, deckhand, sits on the port side of Scarlette as the sun rises over Okinawa.

KADENA MARINA, Japan -- (Feb. 8, 2009) Scarlette's first Sunday sail of 2009 ended with a thrilling ride in after the day started out with seas similar to a bath tub.

On hand during this sail was Eli Hyman, deck hand (and former Hunter 28 owner) and Cap'n J.

Cap'n J arrived at the marina at 5:20 a.m. to get gas for Scarlette's engine and noticed that he had left the VHF radio on overnight after a quick out and back in sail with a neighbor on Saturday afternoon.

After filling up on base where gas is now a somewhat reasonable $1.81 a gallon, he headed back to the marina to find Eli waiting at the marina gate.

Despite acknowledging that it had been more than a year since he'd been on the water. Eli fit in well with Scarlette and made excellent crew aboard this 1985 J/24 sailboat.

At first the seas, were very glassy and Scarlette's crew was a little concerned that they'd get no wind or light winds all morning but that changed at around 8:30 a.m. after tooling around for nearly two hours on either engine power or virtually no wind at all.

But after heading toward storm clouds, Scarlette's voyage dramatically changed as Eli got a chance to stick Scarlette's port-side rail into the water as we headed north. Our original heading was south.

After giving Eli a chance to get comfortable with Scarlette, Cap'n J took the helm. Eli offered to take some photos which was greatly appreciated as I have few photos of me at the helm of my own boat.

Three hours after our 6:30 a.m. launch we pulled into Kadena marina and the crew departed around 10 a.m.

Pictures and a video of Cap'n J at the helm of Scarlette are below this posting.
Trip started at 6:30 a.m.
Finished at 9:30 a.m.

We traveled 10.4 miles. Overal average speed for the trip was 4 mph.

From 6:30 to 8 a.m. the trip's average speed was 2 mph.

From 8 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. the trip's average speed was 5 mph.

No comments: